Sunday, March 14, 2010

Which is the bigger evil?

I have to pass a toll on my way home everyday. Not surprisingly the toll collector (s) is your typical Indian corrupt individual(s) always trying to make a fast buck. What that entails, in this instance is that he conveniently forgets to issue a toll receipt. I am however Ms Smarty Pants and I never allow that to happen. I wait at the toll and insist on a receipt. I am not going to let anybody profit when I have to shell out money everyday just to get home.

But recently while waiting for my toll receipt as usual, it struck me that if not the toll collector - who would eventually benefit? Did I really believe that the money was going to the government coffers? It was definitely not used to maintain this stretch of road, riddled with potholes and unevenly tarred. Why should the poor toll collector not benefit rather than some corrupt government official higher up the ladder or some corrupt politician.

Which is the bigger evil? Any suggestions?

2 comments:

C G said...

My thoughts: Don't let the toll collector benefit. Keep asking for that receipt. If enough people do that, he will be forced to lead an honest life, collecting tolls.

It starts like that -the honesty thing. With each person doing his/her bit. If you and I stop, close our eyes, then how are we then justified in pointing fingers at the government?

Anjana Viswanathan said...

Hi CG
I like your suggestion. One small step by an individual is a collective step forward.I think I'll persist with my good work.