Friday, March 19, 2010

lawyer speak

Hey? Any lawyers’ out there? Or are you all busy making some nonsensical argument about a non issue ad nauseam. Unfortunately I am one myself, not the litigation variety but the transaction kind. We transaction lawyers also sit at conference rooms a large part of our working day arguing issues that may or may not be ultimately relevant or helpful to the client. (I am just using “we” to show solidarity with my creed-but luckily I can confirm that my verbal diarrhea is limited to this page and my soon to be deaf husband). Why we do it, is anybody’s guess:
 we’re charging by the hour
 we like sounding knowledgeable
 we need to make our clients believe that we know what we are speaking about
 or we can confuse everybody and nobody is any the wiser
What with the experienced corporate honcho (considering India is out there making all kinds of acquisitions globally), and the highly recommended and even more highly paid advisors joining in the din, we have a room full of people strategizing, how best to score a point, when real issues are lost in the midst of the cacophony.

No comments: